Posted in Art Hidden Asset

Icons

October 10th, 2011 - 12:12 pm

I think I’ve come up with a solution for the floating wall problem. I’ll just make a shadow stripe that runs along the bottom of walls on the ground, so it looks like the shadow is cast on the ground and the wall, not on the ground below the wall. I haven’t quite implemented it yet, but it shouldn’t be too hard.

In other news, I’ve been making some cursor icons while finishing up the optimization stuff. These are the ones I’ve got so far that cover the player actions currently planned for the game:

Icon 1 Icon 2 Icon 3 Icon 4 Icon 5

I’m pleased with most of them, but I’m not sure if the middle one is clear enough. Can you tell what it is? And can you guess what action it signifies?

Comments

crbrsd

October 10th, 2011 12:12 pm

A closed fist? So; hit someone/something?

Christian Knudsen

October 11th, 2011 12:12 pm

Correct! It’s a fist, for doing melee combat. Is it really obvious that it’s a fist?

oob

October 11th, 2011 12:12 pm

Grebo

November 17th, 2011 12:12 pm

I’d say that there needs to be more definition between the fingers & thumb on the fist icon. I couldn’t see it was a fist.

It would probably help if you removed / reduced / lightened the glow effect. Darkening the background could help too.

This game is looking great BTW.

GLI

October 10th, 2011 12:12 pm

How about “dollar icon” ($)? To buy something, bribe somebody… ;-)

Christian Knudsen

October 16th, 2011 12:12 pm

If I add the ability to bribe, it’ll probably just be through dialogue.

Lexus

October 15th, 2011 12:12 pm

Imo I think you need to change/modify the open hand if anything… Its a little confusing with more than one hand. (:

Christian Knudsen

October 16th, 2011 12:12 pm

Well, you’ll only see one of these icons at a time, and they’re context sensitive, so you’ll only see the open hand when Combat Mode is off and the fist when in Combat Mode.

Lexus

October 18th, 2011 12:12 pm

Oh, I see. Never mind. When can we see another dev video?

Christian Knudsen

October 18th, 2011 12:12 pm

I want to have elevators working before I make the next video so I can walk around on the different floors of the building. :)

hobb

October 19th, 2011 12:12 pm

Now I understand the lack of ascii sector updates :P But hey, a Fallout/XCOM game is even better! Good luck, you’ve gained one more lurker ^_^

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.