Posted in Hidden Asset Videos

Shadow and light

August 8th, 2010 - 7:41 pm

I’ve been playing around with doing some lighting effects for the isometric Hostile Takeover engine. Your character has a shadow now, and I can designate an overall degree of lighting as well as spots of permanently lighted areas:

Watch it in HD!

One of the things I loved in X-COM were the night missions. There’s just so much mood and atmosphere in those night scenes – beyond the simple dread in X-COM of an alien hiding in the dark right around the next corner. I’m not sure how this will be used in Hostile Takeover, though. I may have missions taking place outside, or I may just have missions that take place in an office building at night. A mission where you have to assassinate a couple of CEOs having a secret meeting at night would be pretty cool too. But I’m getting ahead of myself now…

Of other new stuff in the above video is map scrolling and some furniture I threw in to test draw order, so that sprites can be placed in front of and behind other sprites. Everything seems to be working fine, so I’ll move on to working on having multiple NPCs walk around as well.

Comments

William Hales

August 9th, 2010 7:41 pm

Looking nice :)
The shadows and the furniture are both great.

I notice a tiny delay between movement of the character from tile to tile, but it might just be my imagination.

Christian Knudsen

August 9th, 2010 7:41 pm

There’s a slight lag a couple of times in the video, but I think that’s just YouTube. The delay between frames is always the same, including when the animation re-loops when walking into a new tile.

GLI

August 9th, 2010 7:41 pm

Maybe it’s just my “imagination” but I’m afraid that avatar form this “construct” has some kind of “physical disorder”. I mean it looks funny how he moves his feet (too much to inside) while walking.

First time I saw this in “First steps” entry. Especially while avatar is walking up (“north”). I hope it’s just question of configuration not lack of engine.

Christian Knudsen

August 10th, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks to whoever alerted me that there was a problem with the time stamps on comments. It should be fixed now.

GLI

August 10th, 2010 7:41 pm

You’re welcome! Tried that way to not “trash” comments. Maybe some better communication solution? Forum maybe?

Christian Knudsen

August 10th, 2010 7:41 pm

No need for a forum as long as no game has been released. Comments, emails and the Meebo live chat work fine for now. :)

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.